Friday, April 15, 2011

Perfect start to the playoffs

The Boston Bruins, who have scored 8 goals against the Habs twice in the regular season, were shut out last night. It feels great.

I could not be prouder of my team right now. They all deserve a Plus, but just to list a few examples:

People are applauding Scott Gomez for waking up and putting points on the board. Personally, I think it's been a long time coming. Still, if I had a car that wouldn't start for months, then suddenly I was able to start it and drive around the block, I'd be excited too.

Brian Gionta proved again that he knows how to be captain of this team. (As if anyone with any common sense would doubt him.)

PK knows how to get under an opponent's skin, as we knew already. But as the Bruins and their fans (haters gonna hate) saw yesterday, he also knows how to be an excellent defenseman. Brad Marchand can wag his chin and throw as many punches as he wants - until he backs it up with some real hockey, he's just proving that PK is the better player in this stupid little feud.

Brent Sopel was all over the place, in the best way possible. Forget what you've heard about how the best defencemen are the ones you don't notice. I couldn't help but notice Sopes doing everything he could to clear the puck.

Carey Price: there are no words. He carries this team on his back. Luckily, it appears that his teammates are trying to lighten the load.

If I learned anything from last night's game, it's that the Habs have had enough tragedy this season and they won't allow any more.

I also learned that no one should ever doubt the Canadiens, EVER. On Tuesday night I expressed my stupid, stupid rationale that the Bruins might win this series even though I didn't want them to. Less than 24 hours later, I was running a fever. My temperature didn't drop until this morning - AFTER the Habs won. Same thing happened to a friend of mine: he dissed the Habs (I don't know why) and was diagnosed with sinusitis today.

It's not just about faith or being a fan. It's about certainty. The Habs can win this series, and for fear of running another fever, I think they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're a spambot, I'm just going to stop you right now. Your message will be deleted, so don't even bother, okay? Okay.