Monday, April 4, 2011

Pop Culture Musings

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I have a few random things to say about non-hockey stuff.

I wonder if B.o.B will ever have a hit song on his own. He's always just the rapper when someone needs a verse rapped for them, or he calls up some vocalist to sing a chorus for him. It's never just B.o.B. It's always him and someone else. He's got a lot to prove. Is it because there are lots of rappers who are better than him?
(PS: Dear B.o.B.: "Magic" is totally my jam, you have no idea.)

I've come to the realization that Bradley Cooper's movie career has turned him into the non-Texan Matthew McConaughey. They're basically the same guy now. Think about it: McConaughey could have easily played either Faceman in The A-Team or Sack Lodge in Wedding Crashers, and Cooper desperately tried to catch up to How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days by being in both He's Just Not That Into You and Valentine's Day. (To which I say: really, Bradley Cooper? Both? I really like you, but enough is enough already.) The only McConaughey roles that Bradley Cooper wouldn't have been cast in are the ones that require him to be really, really Texan. The only Bradley Cooper roles that McConaughey wouldn't have been cast in, probably, are his TV roles. (Don't even try to picture it.) To be honest, I'm not even sure what the difference is between Limitless and The Lincoln Lawyer, other than one of them has Ryan Philippe and other one doesn't.

This season of Parks and Recreation has been great. Please go back and watch old episodes, try to manage your way through the first season, then enjoy the second season, and come back and watch the third. Or try just watching the third season because it's so very funny and more accessible than ever. I think I might pick it as my dark horse to win the Emmy this year. It's been better than Modern Family, more rewatchable than Bored To Death, and in some ways more satisfying than 30 Rock (which as you know is my favourite thing in the world). It's finally found its place as heir to The Office. Steve Carell's goodbye episode, by the way, felt a little rushed but is going to be a classic. So well-written. Loved it.

Also, I know I always say this, but why aren't people sick of unscripted TV yet?

We'll be back to your regularly scheduled hockey ramblings before you know it.

3 comments:

  1. I can't really say why exactly, but for some reason, Bradley Cooper really rubs me the wrong way. That's a good observation about him and Matthew McConaughey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the McConaughey connection. Bradley Cooper tends to always play the good-looking guy who has everything, so your immediate reaction is to dislike him a little. Unless you're a lady, because come on, he looks like Bradley Cooper. And he used to be Will Tippin on Alias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah maybe... I usually don't really mind actors who look perfect, but I think in his case, he always looks like he has everything AND is a bit of a douche too because he knows it. But well, maybe that's just because it's the type of characters he plays...

    And on a hockey note, everytime I have to root for a team I usually hate (for playoffs clinching reasons), they find stupid ways to lose. See Flyers on Sunday and Bruins yesterday against the Rangers. And of course, right after that, in the next game, when I'll want them to actually lose, they'll be unbeatable. So annoying.

    It looks like as usual, the habs are not interested in clinching their playoff spot right now. They'd rather wait until game 82 in To and mess up a little more with their fanbase's already fragile sanity... :/

    ReplyDelete

If you're a spambot, I'm just going to stop you right now. Your message will be deleted, so don't even bother, okay? Okay.